[IPython-dev] Configuration, hooks and plugins

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 02:51:21 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Brian Granger<ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Plugins
> ----------
>
> Currently we use "hooks" to allow people to customize how IPython
> behaves in non-trivial ways.  Typically, hooks involve implementing
> some complex behavior by in a python function.  The current hooks
> system is quite messy and grew into existence partly because IPython
> simply didn't use good object oriented design.  I propose that we move

To my eyes, the hooks are the simpler way of getting most of the stuff
done. There is no need for real "plugin system", magic folders,
conventions, etc. This is a benefit when you are embedding ipython to
another program.

However, there *could* be a plugin system, but the plugins could still
interface to ipython using hooks.

> up as plugins.  I have fewer thoughts on how to implement plugins, but
> I know that we won't be able to use any of the fancy ways of doing
> plugins like zope or setuptools.

Check out:

http://martyalchin.com/2008/jan/10/simple-plugin-framework/

--