[IPython-dev] IPython test suite is slow on OS X fast on Windows

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 18:08:22 EST 2009

Hi,

Last summer Min and I noticed that the IPython test suite is quite
fast on Windows, but really slow on OS X:

1.  2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.5.  Test suite takes 67 seconds

2.  *Same machine*, running Windows XP as VM in VMWare.  Test suite
takes 17 seconds.

I have profiled the test suite and found some interesting and confusing things:

On the OS X, calls to tokenize from ultraTB take up 30 seconds!  On
Windows, just 0.6 seconds.  Does anyone have an idea of what might be
going on here?

To run the test suite using the profiler, I did:

trial --profile IPython

There are probably other ways of running this.

Thoughts?

Brian