[IPython-dev] Looking towards 0.10...

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 18:07:54 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This one seemed to be almost ready:
>> - https://code.launchpad.net/~villemvainio/ipython/ip0-unittests-1/+merge/1075
>
> It's really not - I disabled the autocall test case, then
> test_magic.py still wrote stuff to screen. Essentially I'd have to
> disable all the test cases, which is as good as not merging in the
> branch at all. As you suggest it may be a nose issue - certainly it
> should be the one handling the output capture, not individual test
> cases.
>
> This should not really prevent a release, since it's just tests
> anyway, and users don't need to run them. This can be merged after the
> release.

OK, we'll merge it when it's fixed then, post-0.10.  If it requires
looking at nose, so be it.

But we most certainly do users want running the test suite, always.
We need to make every effort possible so that testing ipython is
trivial, always, for anyone.  There are many bugs that happen only on
the user's end (platform, language, encoding, etc), so we want our
users always running our tests.  For this reason, the test code has to
be in tip-top shape: if running the tests and reporting back is a
nightmare, not only does it make life unpleasant for us, but more
importantly, we lose critical feedback from our users.

> I added my trunk-dev for review, though.

Cool, thanks.   I'll  have a go at it.

Anything else anyone can think of that I missed in the previous email?