[IPython-dev] Fwd: [TIP] py.test 1.0 release / remarks

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Tue Aug 4 16:07:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 12:45:52PM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
> not that I'm advocating any changes *now*, but this might be worth
> looking into.  I think nose and py.test share some ancestry, and it
> seems that py.test is maturing nicely.  I especially like the
> 'funcargs' way of writing parametric tests without 'yield': I use
> parametric tests *a lot*, but they are extremely hard to debug when
> they break, because of how nose runs them.

Well, with the discover module going in the standard library, I have been
wondering if we could do with only the standard library. Most of what
nose adds to test discovery (and nice assertion) has prooved to be too
much magic, and has bitten me in the past.

Right now, discover isn't much, but I am full of hope (eventhough it is
not PEP 8 compliant!!!).

Gaël