[IPython-dev] Nose style skipping of tests in IPython.kernel

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 15:20:25 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Brian Granger<ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> In one of the recent commits to trunk:
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ipython-dev/ipython/trunk/revision/1196
>
> New logic was added in iptest and other places for twisted using modules to
> not be tested if twisted is missing.
>
> BUT, in three modules:
>
> kernel.engineservice
> kernel.error
> kernel.newserialized
>
> Nose specific logic was added that looks like this:
>
> __test__ = {}
>
> But, these tests should *never* be run with nose because of the bad
> interactions between nose and twisteds reactor.  Why was this logic added to
> these modules?

I had seen those before in some of the other twisted files, and in
adding the twisted-skipping logic elsewhere, I must have accidentally
added that in those files, sorry.  It is harmless, since nose will not
see those at all, but it was put in there by accident.  In fact, what
we should do is to remove that logic from *all* twisted-using modules
in your cleanup branch, since now we are sending those to trial
instead of nose.  But I didn't want to delete anything I wasn't 100%
sure about this late in the game, and instead I ended up accidentally
adding stuff :)

I suggest we:

- leave those as they are for now in 0.10, they are harmless
- remove them in your reorg branch altogether, so they don't cause
visual/mental clutter.  Twisted's trial should manage that code
anyway, not nose.

How does that sound?