[IPython-dev] [Branch ~ipython-dev/ipython/trunk] Rev 1129: added ipy_gmail extension

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 03:26:53 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 11:33 PM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:28 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Don't you think it's worth at least running the code by everyone else
>> to see if it's a good idea to have it in?  We ultimately all have to
>> maintain the codebase together, so we all  have a stake in this.
>
> Again, note that this is in extension code which implicitly holds no promise
> of actually being useful. Notably, extension code can change how it behaves
> quite randomly, and can fall out of maintenance as easily. This is why we
> can take whole extensions as external contributions in quite a relaxed
> fashion (and this is a good thing).

No.

Recently, Vivian's extensions were reviewed, she added docs for them,
etc.  Once  that code goes in, we ultimately all have to answer for
it, or clean up the breakage later.

It is simply not acceptable for the project to start carrying in its
core code that's randomly broken at any given time.  If you have test
snippets of that sort, that's what the cookbook is for: a publicly
contributed area where neat ideas can go, but which haven't been
vetted.

My (long-term) goal is  for ipython to reach 100% test coverage. We're
nowhere near that,  but the only way we'll ever get there is by
ensuring that new code is always tested.

Please either add tests and docs for this or revert the commit and put
it in the cookbook.

All of us are developing in the open, keeping our branches ready for
public review and accepting feedback from others.  I hope you'll be
willing to play by the same rules as everyone else.