[IPython-dev] Tweaking the IPython development workflow

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 14:44:34 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Yarko Tymciurak <yarkot1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would encourage reviewing before checking into trunk - check into branches
> in prep for review.
> Many people (I included) take the trunk as quasi-stable, ready for "general
> public" testing / feedback.

Yes, that's what we are doing at the moment. So far, though, it hasn't
been working too well. More specifically, if you find something that
is obviously wrong in the trunk code and you have a trivial fix for
it, it should be possible to check it to trunk with a quick schedule
(as opposed to having people run broken code from trunk for months).

I'm not saying we should change the process, though - just saying what
I think would work better  ;-).

BTW, I also always recommend people to use the trunk version instead
of the released versions, since trunk is almost always less broken
than the older releases. Keeping the trunk "alive" still makes sense
to me though - if integrate the branches too late, the code will not
get excercised enough before the release (to state the obvious).

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio