[IPython-dev] pyreadline

Laurent Dufréchou laurent.dufrechou at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 16:47:27 EDT 2008

Hi jorgën,

Gaël explained me a little what was a readline. Now I better understand how
it interface with a gui.
(Please any GUI programmer correct me if I'm wrong, especially for cocoa or
QT)

* ANSI color escapes:
In a gui we use a widget that has methods to color the text it display,
depending on the widget used, the methods are way different.
When I interfaced wx to ipython, I sended a string to ipython shell and it
sent back (via readline interface?) an ansi color escaped string.
I had to parse it and process it to make it appears the way it was expected.
>From my point of view I don't expect readline to manage to handle my widget
display.
I mean, send me the data the way I can process it and I will be happy.
Readline must be (I think) GUI agnostic.
Now we can discuss how you can communicate the data. It would be really cool
to be able to select an output object. For example, we could select to set
readline output as escape character OR for example (if we want to handle
bolt etc easily) as HTML output.Why html? Because some widget on WX can get
HTML and display it as is.
We can imagine also XML output or whatelse a GUI guy would need.

*Completion:
If ipython1 manage it by itself, I'm not sure readline should manage it too.
Or does it provide more functions?

*History
>From what I understood from Gael, readline is the object that manage
history.
What I needed when I wrote Wx shell for ip0, was:
getHistoryBack(),getHistoryWidth(),getHistory() etc... in fact function that
can provide me a way to get and manage history strings.
So if we could define a simple interface to readline that could be good.

One important point, gael tells me that usually readline get all character
received from a frontend and it handle it.
I think, (perhaps I'm wrong) that from a GUI designer point of view, I would
greatly prefer to send to readline full string instead of character. Key
event handling is tighly managed by gui itself, so I think it is a little
complex to send it to readline with readline being GUI agnostic...
Well I think we will have to discuss this point. QT/Cocoa guys, what do you
think about this? Perhaps the solution is to create a wxreadline that will
be a thin wrapper between wx key event and readline processing?

Don't have a real solution there...

Be careful, I was speaking from a GUI designer point of view, from a shell
frontend point of view I understand the way that readline process char by
char the data...
So that why, if you explain the advantage of calling readline each time a
char is processed, I will be willing to try to use it like a shell frontend
designer would.(to have a unified interface)

Laurent