[IPython-dev] mercurial now has free hosting too

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Wed Mar 26 05:40:47 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:36:18AM +0200, Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> I think the killer issue here is Launchpad. We get pretty much
> everything for free, and it's something that we can expect to stay
> around in the long haul (and will continue to improve). The slight
> performance disadvantage of bzr is a minor concern, esp. for the
> project with the size of IPython.

> Both hg and bzr as-such (if we forget the hosting options etc) are
> "good enough" right now, and both are being improved. As it stands, I
> think we should stick with LP + bzr for now - we can re-evaluate the
> situation a year or so down the line, if need be.

I have the very exact same gut fealing than you.

I have watch developpers switch to DVCS lately, and I must say it
requires a certain change in working habits. Let us wait for people to
get used to these new tools before discussing which one to you. And don't
get me wrong, I love DVCS, I just don't want to lose developper because
of it.

Gaël