[IPython-dev] Bazaar on OS X

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 12:56:40 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:

> I tend to think it's again the Zen of Python (explicit is better than
> implicit).  I would reconsider it as a "good" feature if you had explicit
> control over which path through history is considered to be the mainline.

You have explicit control of that - I guess that's what is the reason
for the history folding problem ;-)

The sole cause of the history folding problem is that people push the
wrong branch to the wrong place. Once you observe some caution as to
what you push and where, it's a non-issue. We wouldn't even be talking
about this if launchpad had a checkbox somewhere that prevented
pushing to the wrong branch, or at least required some kind of --force
option to do it. That not being the case, we have to observe some
caution. I guess this is comparable to python vs. C++ - we don't have
a compiler, so we can't count on our tools to safeguard us against
something, but we get by.

This should be pretty easy to fix by bzr developers, but I'm not sure
how much it has been talked about (and am rather too busy to engage in
the conversation on bzr mailing list ATM).