[IPython-dev] IPython.fronend progress

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 15:19:00 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> At this point, I would appreciate comments on the entire frontend
>>> package before we consider merging ipython-frontend into trunk.
>>
>> OK, some first impression comments:
>>
>> conding standards:
>>
>>    * Some lines are longer than 80 characters. I don't like this as I
>>      keep all my windows open at 80 characters width, and I don't like
>>      lines wrapping.
>
> True, when possible, we should stick to 80 chars.

Again, just follow PEP-8 (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/)

""" Maximum Line Length

    Limit all lines to a maximum of 79 characters."""

The default python mode for emacs does this, as I imagine do the
python modes for other editors if they've been written to be pep-8
conformant.

Unless there's a very good reason not to, we stick to pep-8 for
everything.  The case of subclassing existing interfaces is an obvious
case where we have to do whatever the parent class does and not what
pep8/we want.