[IPython-dev] Moving forward with the frontends

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 14:58:52 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is just a heads up to say that I have been allowed to devote some of
> my day work's time to working on a frontend for iPython. We want to
> integrate IPython in Mayavi and other similar projects. The requirements
> are:
>
>  * We want something fast, not after three months of work

Great!  Real quick (I'll respond to your message in full later): we
can make this an IPAM project, in the end I *will* make it there after
the SIAM conference, so put it in your schedule for those two weeks
after the talks end.  IPAM is a great place to work anyways...

Timeline for everyone else (the previous paragraph was a bit cryptic):
Gael and I will be physically together for 2 weeks at a workshop at
UCLA July 14-25, and we'll work on this as time allows around
scheduled talks.  If Barry, Laurent or anyone else is interested, we
could schedule irc/skype sessions occasionally to coordinate the
frontend progress during that period (in addition to on-list
discussions).  Gael will likely also visit with me at Berkeley
afterwards, so July/August is a good timeline for this to happen.

I'm working on the nose testing stuff right now, we'll likely have to
ship our own ipython nose plugin for all our testing to work with
nose.  I'll try to have that finished in the next day or so, since I
want us to have that layer in place as we refactor things.