[IPython-dev] bzr - what am I doing wrong?

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 11:25:00 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mmh, what if you have stuff in your local copy that you're playing
> with still but not quite ready to commit?  I'm not sure I like the
> idea that the local branch must be immediately gone after each commit.
>  It seems to me that the iptrunk branch should be pretty 'pure' from
> local work, but I do want a more long-lived area for local work.  Or
> is this just 'going against the grain' of bzr workflow?

For long-lived work you should have a separate "feature branch", e.g.
"twisted-exp". Not "fernandos-stuff" where you routinely do all the
local stuff and keep merging to it all the time.

It's quite ok to merge stuff to your feature branches if it's a
long-term undertaking, but for short lived fixes it's an unnecessary
complication and should not be done "just to see if your stuff works
with the new stuff". To test your branch against the latest codes, run
the tests in trunk after "bzr merge ../ipfix", before commit.