[IPython-dev] Bzr merge idiosyncracies...

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 19:47:28 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

since I remain concerned about the issue of how bzr handles history
with multiple merges, and how launchpad displays it, I went looking
around in the bazaar mailing list.  From there I ran into this, that
happened to be written today:

http://vcscompare.blogspot.com/2008/06/on-mainline-merges-and-fast-forwards.html

(btw, that blog seems like it will be a handy reference on DVCS systems).

At least I wasn't totally crazy in feeling uncomfortable with the bzr
model.  I think we can live with it for now, and the benefits of all
the launchpad hosting infrastructure are too big for us to ignore, so
we'll just have to tweak our development practices to coexist somewhat
with bzr's personality quirks.

As we all find the pieces of what a good workflow should be, I hope
we'll all contribute it back.  Now that I'm trying to use the
two-branch approach to avoid messy history, I'm getting extremely
irritated.  I feel like I'm babysitting my VCS instead of it being a
tool at my service (way too many steps for normal operation, too many
things that need to be done in *just the right order* to avoid a mess,
etc).  I hope these are just growing pains and that we'll soon settle
into something reasonable, otherwise I might revert to basically
ignoring the launchpad history tool and having local trees be the only
way that we consider the history to be logged.

A bit grumpy...