[IPython-dev] Help! TR: TR: Ipython plugin

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 17:39:54 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 11:39 PM, Laurent Dufrechou
<laurent.dufrechou at gmail.com> wrote:

> I mean we can stay with pyreadline for console based terminal but I think we
> need something simpler for "graphical" gui.

I agree. However, this can be done as it is now in iplib.py
"interact_with_readline" method (which, admittedly, is not excercised
in current code but mostly server as proof that ipython can be easily
decoupled from raw_input.

> (Another time, this is my point of view, some other devs will say that this
> is the job of a readline object: I'm not ok with that because I want to be
> free and I need something flexible. "Keep it simple" philosophy)

I agree with you here. All the direct references to readline should
factored out of the logic-running classes.

> - Completer API.
> Sometihng like:
> IP.Completer.getCompletion(user_input_to_complete) -> return a list of
> completion :
> list([completion1,'function'],[completion2,'int'],[completion3,'private']
> etc...

This should be easy. test_completer.py introduces how to "hack" your
way aroud the lack of API (so far).