[IPython-dev] IPython issues in Sage

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 04:21:26 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Mike Hansen <mhansen at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Yes, and still is. IPython and depends on it to run at all. Perhaps
>> you are looking in a wrong namespace dict?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "looking in a wrong namespace dict".
> There was code that used the _ip variable that was working fine with
> IPython 0.8.2, but when I upgraded to 0.8.4, it gives me a NameError.

Yeah, but perhaps it didn't look for it in the right place? It
certainly is in the IPython user namespace. However, it's not in
__builtin__ namespace anymore (it caused various problems when used
from there, can't remember the exact bugs that were fixed by that).
You need to acquire the _ip object by using IPython.ipapi.get() if you
are not operating within ipython user namespace.