[IPython-dev] automatic cpaste

Ken Schutte kschutte at csail.mit.edu
Tue Jan 29 17:10:11 EST 2008

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out a way to make cpaste more "automatic".

The closest I've come is the attached cpaste modification.  Using
"cpaste -a" automatically executes the contents of the clipboard;
however, it requires the 'xclip' command, which is run with os.popen3().
(btw, xclip is a nice command-line utility - I've found it's in most
distro's repositories, but usually not installed by default).

I'm not sure if you'd want to add this patch because of this dependency,
but it should be backward compatible as is. (or is there a better way to
get the clipbard contents?)

This is maybe a slight improvement for me, but I'd love something where
I can truly do a simple paste with the mouse and everything is done
automatically.  I guess this is basically not possible within ipython?

I usually use ipython within a Konsole window, so the only other thing I
can think of is to figure out if you can easily do something there to
make this happen, e.g. intercept a mouse paste, and instead paste in the
text "cpaste\n"+$clipboard+"\n--\n".

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Ken