[IPython-dev] Performance sanity check: 7.21s to scatter 5000X1000 float array to 7 engines

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 13:36:15 EST 2008

[Off-topic on ubuntu stuff, feel free to ignore.  No new MPI info here]

On Jan 13, 2008 11:16 AM, Andrew Straw <strawman at astraw.com> wrote:
> Which bug makes the kernel unusable in text mode? (Sorry if it's the
> openmpi bug you linked below, I don't see a connection there.)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/129910

Now I see it's been marked as "Declined for gutsy", annoying the hell
out of quite a few people (myself included, now).

And the cavalier attitude of the devs on this bug is annoying: if it
hits you on a box with a problem, it can be *very* tricky to get out
of.  Imagine a machine with a broken X, now you have no text console
either, and no means of finding out that a special vga=X line is the
culprit (since that's been working for say 10 years!).

This particular bug cost me a good 3 hours of hunting until I stumbled
upon the actual origin of the problem and found this long thread.

But I'm happy to see the problem remains in Hardy, which will be LTS.
We can look forward to 5 years of non-working text consoles on
servers, or being stuck with 80x25 mode in 2012 (like I am now: a
gorgeous 24 inch, 1900x1200 screen rendering an 80x25 terminal).
Yipee.