[IPython-dev] 0.9 beta, anything left?

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 20:37:55 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> means special-casing code.  In the new architecture, the magics will
> be separate objects with a common options parsing machinery that
> should be uniform, so there's a good chance we'll have to change a bit
> exactly how this works in the near future.

I don't mind if the behaviour changes, as long as it's as convenient
(to type) as using --. However, I don't think forcing the magics to go
through a common parsing machinery is the optimal way to go; we should
retain the possibility for the current behaviour that allows free form
data to be passed to magics.

We could also change the character before the release, if the dual
meaning with long options is a problem. - is something you can type
without pressing shift on most keyboard layout, so I'd rather leave it
as it is now.