[IPython-dev] Test failures

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 00:37:36 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:

> But, I don't get it. I need to create an ipython0 instance, not to
> retrieve an existing one. This is pretty-much the entry point of my
> frontend: to create an ipython0 instance. I don't see how ipapi.get can
> help me on that. I actually don't see how I can do it without
> make_IPython. If you have something better to suggest, I am happy to use
> it.

But this is during the test suite, right?  In that case, it's going to
be a little tricky, I suspect, because the testing plugin already has
to make an ip0 instance so magics and other similar beasts run.

Could you make your class take optionally the ip0 instance as a
parameter at construction time?  This isn't very elegant, but it may
do for now so you can run in the testing environment until we can fix
it to decouple all the global effects.

In that case, you'd run your constructor passing it the ip0 instance
retrieved from ipapi.get(), and work with that.

Note that with all  the i/o capturing that doctest/nose do, this could
get ugly in a hurry, if you're also trying to do your own i/o
trapping.  So no guarantees that this will actually work.