[IPython-dev] strange namespace issue

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 13:18:04 EDT 2007

On 9/11/07, Darren Dale <dd55 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Aha! The problem was introduced in svn 2754, when iplib, FakeModule and Magic
> were modified. Try doing the following with svn 2753 and then 2754:
>
> $ ipython -gthread
> In [1]: run pygtk-demo.py
> # interact with the pygtk-demo window
>
> I get errors with 2754, but not with 2753.

Lovely.  Those are the changes I made for doctest to work correctly,
and the more frustrating part is that the new code is in a sense much
more correct.  Instead of building a fake contraption that tries to
look like a module, we actually put a true module object in the
execution namespace of the called script.  This could not be done back
in the days of python 2.1, but now (post 2.2) I can do that, which
should be a much better solution.

The new code did pass all the pickle tests I had lying around as well
as enabling doctest to work correctly.  I'm totally confused as to why
it may have broken threading support, in particular in that strange
way you are seeing.

I'm convinced that having a real module in there is the right thing to
do.  I'd be very grateful if anyone has an idea on how to address the
GUI problems Darren is seeing without losing the doctest support.
Very grateful.

cheers,