[IPython-dev] Problems with external commands and help()

Andreas M. sfamix at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 26 16:39:26 EDT 2007

Hello,

I use

Py 2.4.3 (#69, Apr 11 2006, 15:32:42) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] IPy 0.8.1

on WindowsXP Pro/SP2.

I have defined the %HOME% env-var. I also have the %EDITOR% set.
None of the !commands work. When trying to invoke the external editor I
get this:

[amix]|9> %edit
IPython will make a temporary file named:
h:\amix\temp\ipython_edit_ofs9wj.py
Editing... done. Executing edited code...
Could not open file <h:\amix\temp\ipython_edit_ofs9wj.py> for safe
execution.
WARNING: File not found. Did you forget to save?

No editor popped up!

When I open the help utility it goes like this (example):

In [2]: import datetime

help> modules datetime

Here is a list of matching modules.  Enter any module name to get more help.

datetime - Fast implementation of the datetime type.
test.test_datetime - Test date/time type.
zope.interface.common.idatetime - Datetime interfaces.
zope.interface.common.tests.test_idatetime - Test for datetime interfaces

help> datetime

help>

Also, doing help('datetime') or help(datetime) does not yield any
results, nor does it with any other module.

My %PYTHONPATH% is set and so is %PYTHONDOCS%.

I tried it both with CMD.EXE as backend-shell as well as Powershell 1.0

Any ideas ?

--
Andreas M.