[IPython-dev] problems with qt4 threading

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 13:28:45 EDT 2007

Hi Darren,

On 8/23/07, Darren Dale <dd55 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> I recently reported a problem with ipython when using -q4thread, which showed
> up when I updated to qt-4.3 and PyQt-4.3. The original post didn't generate
> any interest, but the problem renders ipython unusable with qt4, so I wanted
> to post it once more.
>
> I made a little bit of progress with the attached patch, which silenced
> the "QSocketNotifier" messages. I can still make plots, interact with them,
> and close them. The patch can *not* be applied though, because a PyQt4 import
> appears outside of the class definitions.
>
> I'll be away next week, I just needed to get this in print before I forget
> what I have learned today.

thanks for the report, but I'm afraid that I have no idea either.  I
don't know the Qt APIs at all (in fact the Qt4 backend was contributed
by you :).  Since this one may linger for a while until we get a Qt
expert, it would be great if you could file it as a bug report on our
Trac:

http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython

else we'll forget.

Sorry not to have a better answer, but without knowing the Qt API, I'm
not really sure where to start (and I don't have time at the moment
for an expedition inside Qt4, unfortunately).