[IPython-dev] Fwd: [IPython-user] IPython release soon?

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu
Tue May 2 12:24:08 EDT 2006

Ville Vainio skrev:
> On 5/2/06, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sure.  I can build an rc in the next couple of days and post it, and
>> if all goes well with it over 10-15 days, we can make the actual
>> release.  You should write the release notes for this one, since you
>> actually know much better than I what the new stuff is/does.  Now that
>> we have an easy-to-edit wiki, it might be a good idea to keep a real
>> "what's new" page.
>
> Ok, I'll put the release notes in the wiki. There's no real rush, I
> think sometime next week would be optimal (I'll have a bit more
> freetime in my hands then).
>
> Are ipipe and pyreadline both in a comfortably releasable condition at
> the moment? I think we should include a stable version of pyreadline
> in the windows distribution of ipython.

Ville,

In a previous discussion with Michael Foord on the user list we talked
about exposing a way for changing the default location for the
pyrereadline config file. Part of the solution to this problem, as I see
it required a change in IPython/rlineimpl.py. I have attached the
proposed patch from that discussion. The second part is providing a
config option somewhere in ipython but we could leave that for later.

Otherwise I think the functionality is working fine now. However I have
not looked at installation issues in a while. Like which configfiles
should be installed. Do we just overwrite any readline.py file in the
site-packages dir? Or should we leave that file for manual installation?

I'm also in the middle of a change of computers now so my access to a
windows computer is a bit limited. This should be done by friday.

/Jörgen