[IPython-dev] ipipe news

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Wed Mar 1 08:00:53 EST 2006

Ville Vainio wrote:

> On 3/1/06, Arnd Baecker <arnd.baecker at web.de> wrote:
>
>> Should it also work from a normal python prompt?
>>
>> For this I get:
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>>   File "ipipe.py", line 246
>>     return (XAttr(item, name) for name in xattrs(item, mode))
>>                                 ^
>> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>
>> Converting this to
>>     return [XAttr(item, name) for name in xattrs(item, mode)]
>> shows another problem in l. 292
>
> Yeah, we're trying to avoid 2.4 syntax where applicable. I can see why
> this can be a problem when you want generators though... you'd have to
> implement a custom generator instead of genexp.

OK, done, instead of a generator expression, a local generator function
is used. (And collections.deque is replaced by list on 2.3 and sorted is
reimplemented if neccessary.)

> One extra problem:
>
> when curses in not available (which is the case on win32), I get
>
> [environmentswitch]|1> from ipipe import *
> exceptions.AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call
>  last)
>
> C:\opt\environmentswitch\<ipython console>
>
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'ibrowse'

Fixed, ibrowse is now only added to __all__ if it exists.

> [environmentswitch]|2>
>
> The import should also work without curses.

It should work now. If curses isn't available idump is used as the
default browser. Please retry!

> Once these problems are fixed (and the indentation is converted to 4
> spaces),

I've reindented it to four spaces.

> I have no issues shipping this in IPython/Extensions.

Great!

How do we handle maintenance? Do I upload patches to the tracker or can
I have repository write access? I promise I won't touch anything except
ipipe. ;)

Bye,
    Walter Dörwald