[IPython-dev] [Fwd: python2.5]

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 03:12:49 EDT 2006

On 7/25/06, Ville Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/25/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I understand that IPython makes no claims at all about
> > supporting Python 2.5.   I just wanted to let you know that Python 2.5
> > seems to be a huge jump, so much so that somebody might have to put
> > in some significant effort to make IPython work with it.
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
>
> It's clearly a priority to get it working on python 2.5, but the whole
> deal seems to be a regression for python 2.5 rather than an indication
> for a need to "fix" ipython. I.e. there's something badly wrong w/
> python 2.5 if it breaks lots of stuff (w/o "from __future__ import
> blah blah", or deprecationwarnings), and knowing that it flies against
> the traditional conservative evolution b/w python versions, one would
> expect that future betas of python 2.5 will work better.

You may well be right, but in that case we could really help by
reporting such problems before they go official with 2.5.  I'll build
2.5 and play with it to see what's going on, but I'm pretty busy
between now and scipy'06, so I can use all helping hands.

If we really discover serious regressions, we should definitely report
them.  The python-dev team will be a lot less sympathetic to our pleas
if we come after 2.5 is officially out :)