[IPython-dev] winreadline

Vivian De Smedt vivian at vdesmedt.com
Sat Jan 21 04:13:35 EST 2006

Dear All,

I dare I take this thread in middle and I'm not sure I understand well
what you are saying but I started to imagine that you imagine to ship
with with IPython a version of a readline like package.

Is so I vote pro. As a Belgium keyboard user I have trouble with the
Gary Bishop's readline.
With the original version Belgium user aren't able to type  ' [', '{',
... which make the life of a programmer a bit difficult.

As I wrote some month ago to get rid of these problems.  I had to have
my own version of the the Gary Bishop's readline.

I submitted to Gary but it never replied so I'll be glad to submit them
to the IPython team.

That could ease a lot the installation of IPython for Belgium user which
is a bit painful for the time being.

Tell me if I was right when thinking that you plan to ship IPython with
its own improved version of readline.
If so tell me what you think making the Belgium keyboard compatible with
that version of readline ;-)

Vivian De Smedt