[IPython-dev] IPython and Qt?!

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue May 31 15:04:10 EDT 2005

Hans Meine wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 May 2005 13:22, Hans Meine wrote:
>
>>I patched IPython/Shell.py to run a QApplication in
>>a separate thread, and my first experiments were quite successful.
>>
>>Would you like to have a look at it [...]
>

> Of course, my intention was to post the patch... ;-)
>
> BTW: In case you're not familiar with Qt and don't have the python bindings
> installed yet, they're called PyQt and depend on sip.

I love it when I get to use my little time machine :)

Did you have a look at last night's (my time) announcement of   ipython
0.6.14?  The big new feature there is Qt support...

Note that the Qt support in ipython wasn't written by me, but by a group
of friends who are extremely experienced with Qt.  I think they found
out, after trying something like your patch, that it wasn't quite
enough.  In certain cases, things could still block.  If you read the
current Shell.py, you'll see that they play some special tricks with the
timer to avoid deadlocks.

Have a look at .14, and let me know if it doesn't do what you need...

Best,