[IPython-dev] Which list updated

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Apr 6 07:13:05 EDT 2005

Frédéric Mantegazza wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've updated the which list on the wiki. In fact, I found some restrictions
> in execution of magics with runlines() method. Se point 7 at:
>
>     http://www.scipy.org/wikis/featurerequests/IPython

Please update CVS and give things a try.  Magics can now be used in multiline
statements (with or wihtout leading %, depending on your %automagic settings).
  Furthermore, magic calls now honor the same variable expansion mechanism
which aliases and system calls use:

Here's a trivial example:

In [17]: for i in range(3):
    ....:     mkdir $i
    ....:     !touch $i/hello
    ....:     ls -l $i
    ....:
total 0
-rw-r--r--  1 fperez wavelet 0 Apr  6 05:10 hello
total 0
-rw-r--r--  1 fperez wavelet 0 Apr  6 05:10 hello
total 0
-rw-r--r--  1 fperez wavelet 0 Apr  6 05:10 hello

This required changes in a lot of places, so some hard testing would be very
welcome before putting it into the wild.  Let me know of any problems.

Best,