[IPython-dev] tab completion w/ spaces in filename - still broken

Ville Vainio vivainio at kolumbus.fi
Wed Jun 30 16:57:05 EDT 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:

> readline to keep the whole filename intact for completion.  So we have
> a partial fix, but a full solution will require a real readline guru
> (it may not be possible with python's readline, I don't know: I'm not
> sure if python's readline exposes all of GNU readline).

readline.get_line_buffer(), which gets the whole line, might be usable
for this, together with readline.get_endidx(). I imagine that the
completion function could move left enough to find the first "real",
i.e. unescaped delimiter to find the real start position (and hence the
real completable text).

I've never really used readline, but reading the module docs might
suggest something like that...