[IPython-dev] Windows installer - Round II

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Jun 14 19:57:27 EDT 2004

Viktor Ransmayr wrote:

> Bad news: If I run the produced installer, I get the identical traceback as
> previously reported.
>
> ### For the record, here's my work-log again:
>
> 2004-06-14 11:54:54
>
> o Donloaded latest CVS-version of IPython into
>   D:\Environments\Python\IPython\IPython-cvs\
>

> 2004-06-14 11:59:33
>
> o Try to make a binary installer using the post-install script:
>   "python setup.py bdist_wininst
> --install-script=ipython_win_post_install.py"
>  - Everything seems fine, i.e. binary installer gets produced, no
> traceback get
>    produced by the script. - Saved logfile as ipython_bdist_20040614.log.
>

> 2004-06-14 12:10:17
>
> o Install the self-created IPython-0.6.1.cvs.win32.exe
>  - Follow the instructions in "Upgrading from a previous version" and verify
>    that the directory C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Viktor
> RANSMAYR\.ipython
>    doesn't exist.
>
> o Installation failed w/ the following traceback:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "D:\Python23\Scripts\ipython_win_post_install.py", line 126, in ?
>     run()
>   File "D:\Python23\Scripts\ipython_win_post_install.py", line 86, in run
>     shutil.copytree('doc',doc_dir)
>   File "D:\Python23\lib\shutil.py", line 100, in copytree
>     names = os.listdir(src)
> WindowsError: [Errno 3] Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht
> finden: 'doc/*.*'
> *** run_installscript: internal error 0xFFFFFFFF ***

Well, that's where it was getting stuck before, and all my attempts to fix
things failed.  You may try to use the hacked ipython_win_post_install.py I
posted.  That one has changes to the paths so that it runs to completion,
avoiding the traceback above.  However, though MY script runs correctly
(verified by an internally generated logfile which records its end), the
Windows binary GUI installer dies spectacularly.

If you can debug that problem, then my hacked ipython_win_post_install.py
could become the official one.