[IPython-dev] A cry for help: I give up with Windows installers

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 11 13:31:29 EDT 2004

Viktor Ransmayr wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> I've tried to build the windows-installer from source using
> "IPython-0.6.1.cvs.tar.gz".
>
> Executing  "python setup.py bdist_wininst
> --install-script=ipython_win_post_install.py"
> I get the following traceback:
>
> removing 'build\bdist.win32\wininst' (and everything under it)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 130, in ?
>     ipython_win_post_install.run(wait=1)
>   File
> "D:\Environments\Python\IPython\IPython-0.6.1.cvs\ipython_win_post_install.py",
> line 83, in run
>     shutil.copy(sys.prefix+'\\Scripts\\ipython',ip_filename)
>   File "D:\Python23\lib\shutil.py", line 71, in copy
>     copyfile(src, dst)
>   File "D:\Python23\lib\shutil.py", line 37, in copyfile
>     fsrc = open(src, 'rb')
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> 'D:\\Python23\\Scripts\\ipython'

OK, I get it.  It's my mistake, I never thought the installer would be _built_
under windows, so my setup.py is kind of hacked.  I'll try to fix it and
provide an updated one tomorrow.  Can you get CVS code?

Many thanks for your help, hopefully with a bit of collaboration we can fix
the windows issues.  Especially now that Gary's stuff is working so well, I'd
love to provide full support for Windows users.

Best,