[IPython-dev] Another filename completion defect on win32 - parens

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Jul 19 17:33:06 EDT 2004

Ville Vainio wrote:
> It sucks to be the bearer of bad win32 news again ;-).
>
> In the latest release candidate, completion of spaces works ok.
> Completion of parens, OTOH, doesn't.

[snip]

> The completion esacping hack that was done to spaces should probably be
> done to parens too.

Good god!  I'm honestly not sure I have the stomach to write all the necessary
escaping code for correctly handling '()[] ' characters uniformly in
filenames, with completions.  I'll gladly accept a patch.

I know this reply sucks, but I'm too swamped now with work and other things,
and I'd like to at least put officially 0.6.1 out, even if the tab-completion
is not perfect.  To be honest, filenames with such characters are a pain to
handle even in unix with 'good' shells (bash/tcsh), since you can't for
example use highlight/middle-button-paste on them.  You must either wrap them
in "" or manually escape all those special chars.  That's why I just think
they don't belong in filenames to begin with :)

If you think you have the patience to code this robustly for all the legal
characters which require escaping, I'll obviously accept a patch.  But right
now it's a bit more than I'm willing to tackle myself: the effort/benefit
ratio just isn't there.  I have very little time for ipython, and I really
want to write the multithreaded version so people can use ipython with
matplotlib and other WxPython/GTK apps.

It might not be a bad idea to file your last email on the bug tracker so we
don't lose track of this in the future, if neither of us gets to do it now.  I
_do_ think it's important, I just can't do it now myself.