[Inpycon] Update on Venue - PyCon India 2023

Sanchit Balchandani balchandani.sanchit at gmail.com
Mon May 29 05:21:42 EDT 2023

Hi Anand

Thanks for your inputs, these are valid points which we are also discussing
internally within Logistics teams.

1. Second largest room is not even half as large as the largest one. We
> have had problems in the past even with NIMHANs which have rooms of
> capacity 1000, 500 and 300. One popular talk placed in the second hall was
> good enough to create havoc. I think we need at least two rooms which can
> accommodate 700+.
>
> Both halls in the second building can accommodate 400 people as well, 300
would be the minimum, sorry for not mentioning earlier. Also, we thought of
capping the attendees' number to 1000-1100 if we plan to go with JNTU-H,
and since we'll be running four tracks parallel so hopefully 300 people in
each track on average shall work out.

2. Conference spread across multiple buildings.

> We have had conferences in venues like this in the early years of PyCon
> India and I must say that the experience was not very pleasant. It would be
> hard to move between rooms. People often get confused and end up in the
> wrong place and it would be too far to walk back.

Yes, this could be a little unpleasant. However, if we need to look for a
budget-friendly venue then this could be one compromise we might have to
do. In the initial internal discussions, we thought of placing some cycles
(there are some startups locally, and we could tie up with them) and also
placing a few Battery Operated Cars[1] for better accessibility.

Additionally, HICC is also being pursued in parallel, I and Senhith visited
HICC for final negotiations today. Once we have rental information from
JNTU-H, we could compare the pros and cons and take a final call. I'll keep
everyone posted.

[1] - https://sc04.alicdn.com/kf/Hffc5ba5211eb41ff8af2441f025a2e37x.png

Thanks
Sanchit