[Inpycon] Updates: PyCon India R&D Initiatives

Bhanu K talk2kish at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 02:39:51 EDT 2023

Hello everyone,

I'm writing to share a few updates on progress on the R&D Initiatives.

1. *Tinkering Space*
- We've selected Anitha Raman [1] and Manav Sethi [2] as co-hosts for the
experimental track.
- This is a limited seating (10 adults + 20 children) where each adult
accommodates two children along with them.
- Participants will be provided hardware (Raspberry Pi Pico devices) for
tinkering throughout the day. Co-hosts are working on drafting the
projects, tutorials that participants can use.

We'll be announcing the track this week, updating the website and opening
up for tickets.

2. *Young Learners Workshop *(YLW)
- YLW is a workshop to be hosted on 1st October for 50 students. This is a
new track aimed to involve school students in the Indian Python community.
- Registrations will be opened up next week.
- Harsh Mittal [3] will be taking the workshop for the students.
- We've identified Raspberry Pi 4 devices for the workshop and are looking
for sponsor assistance.

We'll be announcing the track this week, updating the website. This track
is offered to students at no cost.

3. *Newcomer orientation*
- We're bringing increased focus on Newcomers with a focused session for
them (on community, contributions, participation etc.) and support at
community booths.

4. *Software Exhibits*
- These are Exhibits to showcase a software and/or a hardware-based
Python-assisted software.
- We are planning to pick a few from CFP submissions that don't need a talk
category.

5. *Accessibility*
- We've partnered with UserWay [4] for enhancing the reach of our website
to more users via their widget. They've offered the widget at free cost to
us.
- We are working on making the conference sessions accessible by having
live captions for the talks.
- We will be encouraging speakers to follow the WCAG standard for the
presentations.

6. *Extend support to underserved*
- PyCon India is supporting students who expressed interest to participate
in the conference but don't have the means.

7. *Know your peers!*
- This is a fun physical data art installation planned at the registration
desk.

8. *Python Express*
- We have a few upcoming workshops planned for students.

Apart from the above, we're working on a few ideas including one or two
Python in Education sessions, Coffee Unconf (how to brew coffee), physical
job boards.

Happy to discuss further if anyone has questions.

[1] https://www.linkedin.com/in/anitharaman/
[2] https://manav.co.in/about-me/
[3] https://www.linkedin.com/in/harshmittal2210/
[4] https://userway.org/widget/