[Inpycon] Chat platform-Zulip for Pycon

Vijay Kumar vijaykumar at bravegnu.org
Wed Jul 17 23:19:52 EDT 2019

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the inputs. The concerns raised are listed below.

1. The limit on the search history.

2. To use / or not to use previous year's channels.

And here is our take on this.

For the first problem, Zulip has agreed to drop the limits for PyCon
India organization.

For the second problem, as pointed by previous years organizers, Discord
is not preferrable, so we wouldn't want to go with it. That leaves us
between Slack and Zulip. Given that Zulip is opensource (including the
mobile app), and there are no limits imposed (Slack has a search history
limitation), and there is a possibility of self-hosting (with data
migration) in the future, we think that Zulip is a better choice in the
long run.

Regards,
Vijay