[Inpycon] PyCon 2017 Designs from web chirpy

Vidyadhar Sharma justvidyadhar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 11:44:32 EDT 2017

I just went through the trademark terms. Quoting it, mainly on 'derived
logos',

"Use of derived logos for user groups and conferences -- Allowed if used to
refer to the Python programming language. Commercial user groups and
for-profit conferences require permission from the PSF."

Since Pycon is a non-commercial event, it is totally fine to use the third
logo. And to have no problems, we can just drop a mail to the PSF regarding
this. I don't think PSF will have a problem with that.

Also quoting from the 'How to use the trademarks' section,

"The Python logos are not currently registered. (We will post an update to
this policy if they are registered later.) These logos should be used in
the form provided by the PSF, and should be accompanied by a symbol for
unregistered trademarks: "(TM)" or a small TM "™". This may not be removed
or obscured and must always be included with the logo."

Given that the logo is not exactly same as the one PSF gives us, I don't
think there are any legal implications as well. (Actually the first two are
very similar and break the trademark terms).

I just think it's a small issue which can be sorted by getting permission
if at all.

In my personal opinion, the third one looks fun and inviting, might just
attract a lot of attention.

Regards,
Vidyadhar