[Inpycon] Announcing PyCon Pune 2017 & Call for Volunteers

Anand B Pillai anandpillai at letterboxes.org
Fri Oct 14 12:43:44 EDT 2016

On Friday 14 October 2016 03:21 PM, Kushal Das wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Noufal Ibrahim KV
> <noufal at nibrahim.net.in> wrote:
>>
>> I'm all for more conferences happening but I don't know if you should
>> call it PyCon. There isn't a PyCon Pune, PyCon Delhi or PyCon
>> Bangalore. There's just a PyCon India and it's held once a year (usually
>> towards the end of the year around Sep).
>>
> Correct, that is why it is not PyCon India, instead the name is PyCon
> Pune. The idea
> behind PyCon from the website of PyCon[1] "These Python conferences
> bring together developers, application designers and business people
> in the international Python communities."

The trend for city conferences in U.S also is never to override the
"PyCon" prefix.

PyCon is the prefix for the nation wide conferences and has so far never
been used for a city conference IMHO.

If you have any doubt - why dont you take a look at the list of Python
conferences in this page ?

http://www.pycon.org/

You being on board PSF etc, I thought you would be more than aware of
this than the general Python public.

This will confuse people and cause a split in the community. Being the
wrong naming this could also cause abuse of the PyCon prefix. Tomorrow
someone can decide to start "PyCon <insert random locality name here>"
anywhere in India.