[Inpycon] Suggestion on CFP

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 13:47:12 CEST 2015

wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Vanitha Shanmugam <vani.pree at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > We received a suggestion on PyCon India proposers presenting their talk
> in
> > local user group meetups to get early feedback from public on the talks
> > submitted.
>
> How was this suggestion received and would you be able to provide a
> link to the conversation (email etc) bringing this up?

It is not clear to me if the feedback to for the reviewers to decide
whether or not to select the talk or for the speaker.

If it is for the reviewers, then talk selection is no more a "level
playground" as the people from non metro cities are at disadvantage.

If it is for the proposer of the talk, then what is point of doing a
rehearsal even before the talk is selected?

> We feel its a good idea as along with reviewer's feedback we can consider
> > the feedback what we get from local user groups as well.
>
> Unless this was clearly mentioned prior to the CfP being opened up and
> submissions review being underway, this would be somewhat unfair to
> the due process.

-1 from me.

I think we are complicating the CFP little too much.

> This is a good idea but the implementation and inclusion of the
> feedback (qualitative/quantitative) is required to be thought through
> and possibly made part of 2016.

This is just another way of asking for prior speaking experience and find
out how good they are by looking at the videos and/or feedback from that
session.

When I suggested the same, my suggestion was strongly rejected saying the
first timers should be encouraged.

Anand