[Inpycon] Video Management in PyCon India 2015

Shrayas rajagopal shrayasr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 08:28:49 CET 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 12:45 PM, vijay kumar <vnbang2003 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I need to discuss with other active volunteer.
>      I personally think the sooner is better before we lose track of
> this.(End of Month)

>>> I think if someone is interested will reply to this thread itself as they
>>> are reading this email and expectations.

With the month end deadline in mind, I think it is better if we send
out a dedicated call-for-volunteers email? Listing our clearly the
expectations?

>>> That what we do every year.
>     No volunteer come forward for this task, at the end organizer or lead
> video volunteer need to take on their them to complete alone.(Last year
> krace did it alone and i think it took more than a week for him do)
>       After Conference is over, all volunteer will be completely exhausted
> asking to do this task would be unfair  but still someone is ready i am the
> happiest person.
>
>    Last year we even lost track of take backup from laptops where raw video
> were stored. Luckily we recalled and took backup immediately.I understand
> team was very young they were not aware laptops were rented and were suppose
> to be returned .One mistake we would have lost all the data within no time.
>
> stats: only 40-50% of video volunteer come forward who raises their hands in
> mailing list.

I see. The expectation has to be set clearly and this has to be their
*only* task. Like Kiran mentioned, a 2 man team handled all of the
JSFoo videos which is proof enough that this _can_ be done by us too.
Its just that someone needs to be as dedicated as them towards this.
Instead of starting the trainings close to the event, we can space out
the trainings over the forthcoming months so that it is easier for the
volunteers to take time out and learn the concepts as well.

Since HasGeek also looks for volunteers to run parts of their
conferences, their upcoming conferences can also be utilized by the
volunteers to learn the techniques better. @Kiran, thoughts on this?

>>> I would appreciate if you lead this task as looks like you have few ideas
>>> and interested in video management.
>    Let me know if you are fine to lead video volunteering.

It is very hard for me to do this because i'm not in the city. I live
in Chennai and just moved to a newer job so I can't come over for
trainings, etc. It would be better if a bangalore based volunteer
drives this instead of me.

> I think Jaseem/Krace did very good job for open spaces last year we can ask
> them to lead again and all can share thought to them to take to next level
> this year.

Last year Jaseem and Krace took up the open spaces organization at the
last minute since I had to back out of it (due to personal reasons).
My extreme gratitude to them for doing this at such short notice. I'm
actually very keen on helping with organizing that along with them
this year and making it better.