[Inpycon] Development Sprints

Anand B Pillai anandpillai at letterboxes.org
Wed Oct 15 09:28:41 CEST 2014

On Wednesday 15 October 2014 12:45 PM, Bibhas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As someone pointed out earlier and I also think that we don't have
> enough activities at PyCon to engage newer developer. It's kind of
> just people coming to venue, sitting at the audis all day long and
> going home with some points that they might even forget in couple
> of days.
>
> I think a development sprint is a great way to get people started
> programming and contributing and networking. Like it's done in
> most PyCons, after the conf is over, they take 2-5 days and
> organize dev sprints that's open for everybody. I know we might not
> have budget for that many extra days, but we have a whole floor(if
> we go for NIMHANS again) lying unused for 3 whole days. We can
> throw in some tables, chairs, mattresses and it could make a great
> dev sprint spot. This will make the conference more engaging for
> the participants. It'd have been perfect if we could get an extra
> day and experiment for a year. But _if_ that's not possible, can we
> do it within the conf days?

+1. This should be doable. We are not utilizing the entire top floor
of NIMHANS while it is available to us.

It would be nice to do some core Python Sprints to squash bugs - like
a bug day for a few selected modules perhaps.

Note this needs to be organized top-down. I don't think a sudden
Sprint on PyCon India days would work. We need to organize a few mini
sprints in preceding months to spark developer interest and then take
it to finale in the conference.

BangPypers meetups could be used for some of this.

Also take a look at http://pythonsprints.com/ and give your ideas.