[Inpycon] List activity and gratitude

Noufal Ibrahim KV noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Wed May 14 09:35:40 CEST 2014

Hello everyone,
      The influx of volunteers and general activity has been
heartwarming. Thanks for everyone pitching in. I regret that my own role
will be limited this year since I'm not in Bangalore and also because of
some work related pressures that I'm under.

      I just wanted to say something about the nature of the list based
on my experience.

      The chaos and lack of structure might be upsetting to people who
are more used to and prefer a rigid line of command. Being a volunteer
driven community event though, that kind of thing is very hard to
enforce without ruffling feathers and destroying the community. Usually,
in between the emails and enthusiasm, a general consensus on the way
forward is reached, natural leaders and lieutenants emerge and the
conference takes place. In my opinion, this kind of organic bazar style
growth is better in the long term for a good conference than a rigid
rules and responsibilities based system.

      Assume good faith, stay civil and focussed and don't be afraid to
ask questions (although look through the list archives[1] to see if yor
question has already been answered). If you see an opportunity to
improve things, please take initiative and do so. Thing which are
disruptive (like the suggestion to move to a Facebook/G+ group rather
than a mailing list) might require more persuasion and might not even be
accepted but do ask. If you notice a problem with anything and have time
and energy to contribute, pitch in. Everyone (including the more
experienced folks like VIjay and Konark) are volunteers and doing this
because of interest rather than external recognition.

     Thanks for your outpouring of support and let's work together to
make this the best PyCon India ever.

Footnotes:
[1]  https://mail.python.org/pipermail/inpycon/

--