[Inpycon] Everybody Pays Policy

Thu Sep 26 13:02:41 CEST 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM, atul jha <koolhead17 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>
> wrote:

>> Because democracy, as has been repeatedly proved, is not the best way to
>> make imporant functional decisions. We "argue" constructively and then
>> come to a (semi) consensus. It isn't pollution, it's the purpose of the
>> list.
>>
>  </snip>
> Hmm. So you suggesting closed door discussion and then throwing it out loud
> & claiming it community wants it?

No. I don't think he did mention that. And, your statement is an
interpretation of what he wrote. I would like to default to believe
that the event organization which constitutes members from PSSI (and,
some how are members of PSF) have the best interests of the Python
community in India in their hearts. I sense this thread calling that
into question. I do not believe that is healthy.

To be able to make changes one needs to participate. Atul, perhaps you
need to explore how you can participate in the PyCon India process for
the 2014 edition and, thereafter drive the changes you like to see.

PSSI has a fiduciary duty to the Python community in India. I do not
seem them shirking that role.

> <snip>
>>
>> I don't want the opinion of someone who doesn't care about the
>> conference to influence how we run it. Do you?
>>
> </snip>
> How welcoming are you for advise from someone who wants to help?

Creating a poll is one step to helping. The next step is to be able to
devise means of assessing the outcome of the poll and, also being able
to have ownership of the changes. Ownership and execution requires
participation. I think Noufal has earlier alluded to the requirement
of individuals stepping up to participate and contribute and not just
stay at the first step.

> As Kiran mentioned, its good idea we should conduct a poll & have everyones
> voice heard, instead of sitting inside a close door and deciding what and
> how for all.
>
> If i/others was/were not part of past event are you doing enough to let us
> in so we can be there for next event?

I think this is a dangerous assumption to make. I do not see Noufal
or, the PSSI gating/preventing anyone to stand up and be counted. If
you have specific instances where you feel that your contributions
have been actively prevented by the organization or, individuals, I
would suggest seeking redress within the PSSI. That would require to
be addressed.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>