[Inpycon] Hasgeek dependency (was: Venue for PyCon India 2014)

Mitesh Ashar email at miteshashar.com
Thu Oct 10 09:35:52 CEST 2013

@Haris Wizcraft, Showbiz, Encompass, etc amongst a lot others, are
all event management companies.

Pros:
- They do have a certain set of things/contacts worked out and can be
pretty useful with that.

Cons:
- I've seen event management companies work fairly closely. Managing them
needs amazing amount of patience and a lot of badass attitude. Trust me its
generally a pain, a lot of followup, and some frustration, though that
does give considerably reliable solutions in certain aspects(specially
getting the correct contacts for various vendors), some of which could be
pending till almost the last moment.
- They'll cost fantastically high. I can safely presume 100% of them have
no incentive to do this for free or for a large discount for community
events like Pycon.
- Their work will lack the passion that the organisers and volunteers put
in, though that can be handled with proper followup.

So overall, handing a community event like Pycon to an event management
doesnt sound like a good idea to me.

On Thursday, 10 October 2013, Anand Chitipothu wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Haris Ibrahim K. V. <blucalvin at gmail.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'blucalvin at gmail.com');>
> > wrote:
>
>> One other option would be to outsource these things. I have heard of a
>> company called WizCraft <http://www.wizcraft.tv/> who takes care of
>> these kind of things. Maybe we should see what they can offer.
>>

> I talked the people who did Video for one of the TEDX events in India,
> watched the videos that they've recorded. Not satisfied with the quality.
>
> Anand

Mitesh Ashar