[Inpycon] Necessity of foreign delegates. Was Re: Notes from InPyCon planning meeting of local Pune Team

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 18:19:25 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 21 2011, ॥ स्वक्ष ॥ wrote:
>

> [...]
>
> > On the topic of IPSS conducting SOC's, would it be a floss-based (like
> > GSOC and RedHat/Fedora) SOC, since the conference is about the python
> > language and not just Libre software. This is easier said than done
> > and unless this is discussed and clarified properly, I am strongly
> > against IPSS funds being used to (inadvertently) benefit a commercial
> > entity.

We can argue the merits and demerits of inviting a foreign
delegate till we all run out of energy and time and go by
some lame decision.

On the other hand, think about it objectively. The fact is
that right now in India, there are no Python developers in the
league and class of a Raymond Hettinger or Michael Foord
for example, who can give a first hand perspective of the Python
community and the software development.  I have been in the
list for a long time and you can take it first hand from me. If
anyone doesn't agree he or she is welcome to have a discussion
with me directly about it off-list. I am sure I can bring you to see
my viewpoint.

Excuse me, but where were you last year when we decided
to invite David Goodger ? And pray I may ask, what is your
personal contribution to this conference apart from providing
generally negative criticism when an issue of importance
comes up ? I took the lead in getting PSF funding for David
and Noufal and myself co-ordinated to get David for the
conference. Where were all this self-righteousness
and the question of "IPSS funds" at that time ?

> In the long run, the IPSS has to do more than just conduct a
> conference. However, we are not in a position to do that yet and this
> list and discussion are for the conference.

+1. Right now one of the, if not the main activity of IPSS is
to run the conference and run it in the best possible manner.
I am personally convinced that bringing in an experienced
programmer or Python community stalwart as a keynote
speaker is the right thing to do in order to add some cream
to the conference.

It is unfortunate that we are discussing the whys and not the
hows of things at this point of time. I am sorry to say, but
the original email by the O.P to the list was highly uncalled
for at this time.

> --
> ~noufal
> http://nibrahim.net.in