[Inpycon] 2-year policy and advance bid requirements for host cities!

॥ स्वक्ष ॥ vid at svaksha.com
Sat Feb 12 13:05:24 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 12:46, ॥ स्वक्ष ॥ <vid at svaksha.com> wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> As someone who was upbeat about INpycon, its disappointing to see it
> reduced to list wars over host cities and polls being gamed. To
> preserve the open decision making process and avoid a repeat of this
> weeks confusion and rancour on the list, in future (2012 onwards),
> could we enforce a 2-year policy and advance bid requirements for host
> cities, similar to pycon at usa? Granted, the Chennai bid for 2011 fell
> off the radar, but this mail is not meant to redux past threads on the
> list.
>
> Moving ahead, from,
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyConPlanning/BidRequirements, I've
> borrowed and edited the bid questionnaire to suit IN.pycon --Feel free
> to add any requirements you wish to see there (including any errors)
> so that this can be posted on the wiki and in future ALL cities
> bidding would be asked to create a wiki-page along the following:
>
> Bid Requirements:

Added them to the wiki:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyConIndiaBidRequirements, and here is
some more information from Doug (reposted with his permission) on what
happens _after_ the bid is accepted. I think there are many important
planning and organizing tips in his mail which would be very useful
for us to understand how we should look at planning Pycon India in the
coming years.

Its entirely possible that people may not be speaking up or
volunteering because they are not aware of what effort goes into the
conference process, and/or may be afraid of the burden falling on a
single shoulder, and rightly so. I'll add this to the wiki if folks
think its useful.