[Inpycon] Ayodhya verdict

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 06:22:19 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Santhosh Divakar <
santhosh.divakar at gmail.com> wrote:

> *Bad News : http://www.hindu.com/2010/09/23/stories/2010092358640300.htm*
> *
> *
>
> *Bangalore: The police have banned public functions and processions here
> under Section 144 of Indian Penal Code ahead of the Allahabad High Court
> judgment on Friday on the Ayodhya dispute.*
>
> *The order will be in force from 6 a.m. on September 24 till September 26
> midnight to pre-empt any untoward incidents after the verdict.*
>
> *Staging protests, taking out public processions and victory processions,
> holding public meetings and functions, and observing “black day” are banned.
> *
>
> *Police Commissioner Shankar M. Bidari, who issued the order on Wednesday,
> said that pamphleteering, slogan shouting, singing songs in public, using
> gestures and signs, display and distribution of pictures concerning the
> dispute, provocative speeches have also been banned.*
>
> *However, the order will not be applicable to funerals and wedding
> processions.*
>
> *Liquor banned*
>
> *The sale of liquor has been banned during the period.*
> Does this mean that we might need to postpone the event?

Don't read too much into these warnings. This is the typical cautionary
steps
police take when they expect events like this to unfold. However, having a
conference
inside a college is not exactly like people gathering in a market etc, so as
long as the college authorities are OK, we should go ahead and continue
as if nothing changed.

But it might be good if we find out about transport situation on the day.
Talking to the police authorities on this will help. I would think that
BMTC will continue to ply its buses, but auto traffic might get affected.

--Anand