[Inpycon] Website setup

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 08:56:26 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
<abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]
>  I think this can be done. I can give my week-ends to this and a few hours
> on Friday nights. Kenneth please form a plan and let us know.
>
> I think it pays to be a BDFL than a DFL btw.  Guido is a good guide in
> that respect. His emails to pydev are well worth a study on how to be
> benevolent while managing to put the foot down if required.[..]

Cool. Thanks for this. Your reminders are timely and relevant.

I'm not Guido myself and I don't really think I can come close to how
smoothly he manages the community.

I'm trying to do the best I can and some (if not most) of my decisions
will have room for improvement.

Now that things have gotten started, let's end this thread that almost
fractured our community and move ahead.

A few parting points
 * The deadline is strict not because I'm a zealot for doattend but
because the website and related work took a disproportionate amount of
time last time and I don't want to repeat that.
 * If it's up by 1 May, I'll be 110% behind the Fossconf powered site
and move ahead with it. If it isn't, I think we should move to the
infogami + doattend thing without any hard feelings either.
 * I apologise for the curt tone of my email. I had three reasons
   - My daughter was unwell and I hadn't slept last night.
   - The power was out at my house and I was sending mails from my
phone (you know how hard it is to type and be polite on those things).
   - I personally have strong feelings against FOSSconf but i'm not
going to let them come in the way of the conf. if the volunteers can
keep it up and going.
   - I'm not personally convinced by the Python/Ruby argument but this
also a personal thing.

You'll have to admit though that it did get things moving although in
an ugly fashion and not one which I want to repeat. Sorry for the
ruffled feathers and for the rashness.

--
~noufal