[Inpycon] directions for the new society/trust/?

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 08:22:45 CET 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Ramdas S <ramdaz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> Since we are very close to forming a society to run Pycon India and
> hopefully promote Python and Pythonic activities, it’s important to form an
> agenda clarifying the exact plans for the society. Here are some questions
> which I have and would like to seek opinion of everyone in the group, which
> should give some directions into future.
>

> 1)      Should the society be only run to manage funds and organize of
> Pycon India, and similar conferences?

                   In the short run, Yes, because this seems to be the
primary thinking
                   right now. In the long run, it should try to do more
things. When I say short
                   run, I am speaking of a window of 1-2 years for the
society to mature
                  and get a foot-in, so to speak.

> 2)      If not, what are the other activities which the society must
> involve?
>
> 3)      More specifically, what are the other activities a society can get
> involved, other than organizing Pycon?

                    I conceive organizing Python sprints as an area to work
on. One thing
                    lagging from India and even Asia is the number of
contributors to the Python
                    language itself. The society can help organize such
sprints and encourage
                    college students and new Python programmers to
contribute to Python
                    language, perhaps as part of SoC like projects or
otherwise. But I see
                    this as an important area to take Python adoption to the
next level.

> 4)      What should be the legal relationship with PSF? Should we have
> only an informal relationship or a legal relationship (like a chapter of
> PSF)?

                   Frankly, I am ambivalent here. It sounds good to be part
of the PSF in
                   as a chapter, but this of course will involve additional
reporting and
                   accounting formalities. IMHO, initially we should not aim
for this and only
                   keep this as a very probable future path.

> 5)       Should this be a society or a trust?

                   Society.

> 6)      What all can the new society do to encourage Python based
> development in the country?

                     Same as (2) & (3) above.

> Thanks
>
> --