[Inpycon] PyCon site.

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Fri Jun 19 06:34:48 CEST 2009

On Friday 19 June 2009 09:43:18 Senthil Kumaran wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 09:01:33AM +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> > feature additions will always be entertained and implemented if feasible.
> >
> > > Which also means, any things TODO with respect to fossconf would be
> > > done before go to in.pycon.org/2009.
> >
> > no. I am sure the community will find a zillion improvements needed as we
> > go
>
> I understand this stance, but my worry was in terms of additions that
> may stand at the breaking other features. For e.g. after search
> addition, one has to be sure that nothing else is broken. (Have not
> looked at the patch yet, so I don't know if its independent)

thorough testing on local machine as well as on the greenchilly site

> It may be tackled by.
>
> 1) Being sure that the change is independent.
> 2) Unit Testing Frameworks.. (Wow! they are such a nice thing for
> OSS).
>
> But I guess, fossconf currently does not have Unittests which could be
> run as a regression for changes made.

django has all this in place - but I have not yet brought it into this
software. But I find that even with the most sophisticated testing, stuff still
crashes in production. A very interesting case study is melange which google
uses to run the GSOC programme. It has been driving mentors crazy for the last
4 years - but in the end, somehow, it delivers the goods (albeit somewhat
damaged)

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves